Apple introduced their iWatch this month and Apple Luvvies are predicting mass shortages across the world. This is pure hype, don't believe it. We are a technology company and do not know a single person or company who has bought one.
The tech press love the concept of a smart watch and have been writing in general positive things about this. I did pop into the Apple store to take a test drive and it looks and feels nice, but would I buy one? No!
The reason I would not buy a smart watch from any vendor today is because of these reasons:
- The watch is not independent - it needs to be tethered to your phone
- There is nothing that important in my life that I need constant updates to my wrist watch
- My fingers are man-size
- I am not an Apple fan Boi - I prefer open systems, not closed and expensive proprietary tech
- I already have a watch which I use to tell the time, for other stuff I have other devices
- Battery life is going to be a problem
- The price is higher than a good rolex
Sorry, but I think that smart watches are not here to stay en-mass and much like the recent demise of Sky 3D TV, is a passing fad I'm afraid.
If you have bought one, please drop me a line and let me know how you like it?